Billings Forge Info
Farmers' Market at Billings Forge, Hartford
Details About This Market
The Farmers' Market at Billings Forge
Held Rain or Shine, year-round
Thursday 11am to 2pm,
On the green next to 536 Broad Street, Hartford
15 vendors in Summer; 9 in Winter, includes guest vendors.
Market offerings include meat, cheese, fruits, vegetables, honey, bread, coffee and more. Activities at the market include live music, a tasting table, kid's yoga, educational sessions and more. Kids love Chet's Italian Ice!
There is plenty of on street parking and a bicycle rack. The market is held on a large, uneven green space. There is a paved path along one edge of the market.
Leashed, friendly dogs are welcome.
Tours of Billings Forge can be arranged ahead of time by calling 860-548-9877.
Markers of our
Historic cemeteries are outdoor history museums, wildlife refuges, art galleries, and irreplaceable landscapes...
The Ancient Burying Grounds are Hartford's oldest surviving landmark. The city's first and foremost graveyard, it is symbolic of Hartford's respect for diversity- anyone who died in town from the 1600's to the 1800's, regardless of age, gender, race, ethnic background, economic status, or religious faith, was interred here. Although only 415 stones remain today, there were actually over 6,000 people buried on what is now the four acre parcel of land. Explore the headstones, or better yet, arrange for a tour and learn the unique details of this historical destination. Located at the corner of Main & Gold Streets near Center Church in Hartford.
Yankee Magazine calls Cedar Hill Cemetery, 453 Fairfield Ave, New England's Best Historic Resting place. Encompassing 270 acres on the south side of Hartford, Cedar Hill Cemetery is a historic Hartford treasure offering an urban oasis complemented by significant art, culture, history and natural beauty. Download a map or cell-phone audio to take a self-guided tour. Tours pass sculptured memorials that mark the final resting places of well-known souls such as poet Wallace Stevens, manufacturing magnates Samuel and Elizabeth Colt, Secretary of the Navy Gideon Welles, actress Katharine Hepburn, discoverer of anesthesia Dr. Horace Wells, and financier J.P. Morgan.
One of the more interesting stories about the people buried here is that of Isabella Beecher Hooker, the half sister of Harriet Beecher Stowe. To find out what that interesting story is, plan a visit to the cemetery and take the cell phone tour.
Self-guide tour brochures are available in the information box located inside Cedar Hill Cemetery’s entryway gates and in the Main Office located in the Northam Memorial Chapel, which is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 am until 4:00 pm. The Cemetery grounds are open daily from 7:00 am until dusk.
Fresh Views and
Two Cool Walks
The Travelers Tower, at One Tower Square, is New England's oldest skyscraper. A landmark since 1936, the tower offers a panoramic view of the Connecticut River Valley. The Travelers Tower observation deck is open to the public on weekdays from May through October, free of charge. For more information, call 860-277-4208 or 860-277-0111.
Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Arch in Bushnell Park, was dedicated on September 17, 1886 in honor of the 4,000 Hartford citizens who served in the Civil War, including 400 who died in Union uniforms. You may have driven by, but have you been inside? Each Thursday from noon – 1:30 pm, May through October, the public is invited to venture inside the Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Arch for a free tour and to climb its 96 steps for views of the park and the city.
The Wallace Stevens Walk, a 2.4-mile stroll "between the poet's workplace on the cusp of downtown, and his former home in the city's West End. Thirteen knee-high, granite markers outline the route, each emblazoned with a verse of Stevens' poem 'Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird.' It traces Stevens' pedestrian commute (he never learned to drive), but also charts a journey of imagination. 'Knowing that Stevens often composed his poetry while walking to and from work also entices the walker/reader to retrace his steps, to imagine him imagining'" (Boston Globe)
Tree Walk in Bushnell Park: Bushnell Park is an arboretum of rare and native trees. From the beginning, the Reverend Horace Bushnell and Bushnell Park designer Jacob Weidenmann shaped a graceful landscape that included over 150 varieties of trees. Though many of the originals were lost over the years to both age and neglect, the Bushnell Park Foundation led a renovation in the 1980′s and 1990′s that included the planting of 400 additional trees. If you would like to see them for yourself, pick up a “Tree walk” brochure free of charge at the League of Women Voters desk at the entrance to the Legislative Office Building on Capitol Avenue.
Really Odd Stuff and a Temple of Trash
Have you heard of the Museum of Natural and Other Curiosities?
You can find it on the 2nd floor of the Old State House!
"Long before Barnum or Ripley, the Old State House housed a bizarre collection of 'natural curiosities' that included the bi-headed bovine. Believe it or not.
In 1797, painter Joseph Steward opened his Museum of Natural and Other Curiosities on the State House’s top floor. It featured his portraits and life-size wax figures of politicians, including Washington, but the real attractions were the exotic taxidermy specimens from the farthest corners of the world. Visitors who paid 25 cents to see the weird collection of toys in the attic were both fascinated by the strange creatures, such as armadillos and alligators, and freaked out by the oddities.
When the Old State House was restored in the 1990s, the Museum of Curiosities was rescued from the dustbin of history. The gallery features some of Steward’s original portraits and electrification machines, but the menagerie has been faithfully re-created. Mounted animal heads line the walls, swaths of a python’s skin drape a window, and a mammoth alligator lurks from the ceiling. Cases of brightly colored butterflies sparkle, but creepy crawlies, such as the huge Peruvian tarantula, and the albino cobra snaking up out of a basket send shivers up the spine. Among the scores of other artifacts are a mummified human hand and a giant narwhal tusk, but, much as it was two centuries ago, it’s the two-headed calf that is the most curious of the curiosities." (Boston Globe)
Visitors to the CRRA Trash Museum, located at 211 Murphy Road in Hartford's South Meadows, may tour the 6,500 square feet of educational exhibits beginning at the Temple of Trash. Learn about the problems of old-fashioned methods of disposal, such as the “town dump.” From problems, the tour moves to solutions, including explanations of source reduction, recycling, trash-to-energy and landfills.
During the tour, watch our new single-stream recycling facility in operation. From the mezzanine viewing area -- and on our closed-circuit television system -- visitors can follow newspapers, cardboard, junk mail, bottles, cans and plastic containers from the tipping floor, through CRRA's state-of-the-art single-stream processing equipment and see them crushed or baled. Prepared recyclables are then shipped to markets and made into new products.
Back in the museum, a mural by Higganum artist Ted Esselstyn depicts the history of trash management from pre-historic times to today. You can also see the amount of trash one person made in an entire year at Sustainable Dave's exhibit.